Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Date night, Milan style.

Dating in Milan brings to mind just one word: aperitivo. Aperitivo is a truly Milanese tradition, where each evening from around 7 to 10 pm bars all around Milan serve up an unlimited buffet of food, mix up over-sized cocktails, and quickly fill up with young adults out to socialize. You pay just the price of a cocktail (around 8 €) and eat until your belly’s content, surrounded by the laughter and chit chatter of gregarious Italians. (Check out this article from the NYTimes written about Milan’s aperitivo scene to get an idea: http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/in-milan-the-best-meal-deal-in-italy/?scp=6&sq=milan&st=cse)Essentially, it’s the perfect activity to propose if you want to take someone out on a date.

Don’t ask me how it happened, but this week I found myself with 4 invitations for aperitivo from 4 different people. I’m a big fan of aperitivo, but does it get old if you do it every night of the week? I suppose I’ll let you know when the week is up…


That being said… suggestions for a 2nd date that are not aperitivo-related are very welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh that makes me so hungry! If the aperetivo buffets are so good, how do the restaurants stay in business?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I suppose they offer different things.. I mean at aperitivo you can't order what you want to eat, you just take whatever they give! And I think aperitivo is more popular in general with young adults, it's a little noisier, more crowded, and of course cheaper than going to a restaurant here! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 26 year old Swedish-American half breed living in Milan. Born in Ă–stersund, Sweden, raised in Manhattan and moved on to live in Montreal, Gothenburg, Milan, and have come full circle back to NYC. I've got an amazing family I'm very close with(even though we always seem to be spread across 3 different continents) and the best friends anyone could ask for.