Wednesday, July 1, 2009

mafipulating with the Jane Grey

This week I'm working at Università di Politecnico di Milano. I come here to use the laboratory in the chemical engineering department from time to time through a collaboration that my company has with the university.
When I'm here I'm a regular lab rat. Donning a white knee-length lab coat and latex gloves I run around the lab setting temperatures on ovens, picking microchips out of acid solutions with sharp steel tweezers, and weighing out polymer pellets to a thousandth of precision. While this may sound like a drag to some I get wrapped up in it, doing my best to make sure each reaction goes as planned.
The past two days however haven't been that successful. While cleaning the microchips the hydrochloric acid corroded the chips and killed their electrical function. This caused me to lose a day of work as I tried again and again to get some functional chips out of the cleaning process. In the end my success rate was a measly 5/17 chips.
I think I need to take a few notes from the Look Around You scientists as they so skillfully mafipulate with their Jane Greys. Check out this episode about water... clear, refreshing, and impossible to describe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCWA7uevo_Q

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 26 year old Swedish-American half breed living in Milan. Born in Östersund, Sweden, raised in Manhattan and moved on to live in Montreal, Gothenburg, Milan, and have come full circle back to NYC. I've got an amazing family I'm very close with(even though we always seem to be spread across 3 different continents) and the best friends anyone could ask for.